Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Storytime: Too Many in the Bed

Family storytime for ages 3-8 and their families, with craft.


Books:

The Squeaky Door
by Margaret Read MacDonald and pictures by Mary Newell DePalma
I have a few other versions listed in "Additional Books" but this is my favorite to read to a group. The repetition is a real crowd-pleaser. Be sure to add big SMACKs and long, loud squeaks. I also throw in a motor activity and have them click off the light with me.


Creak! Said the Bed
by Phyllis Root and pictures by Regan Dunnick
The clever, hanging ending and jabs at Dad's snoring keep this a little more entertaining for the parents.  Wouldn't be my first pick for outreach, though.


The Napping House
by Audrey Wood and pictures by Don Wood
An all-time favorite of mine-- even holds the interest of the very youngest audience members. I wanted to make a magnet board out of this story but our laminator was out of commission. Check out this great color pattern pdf from kizclub.com. Search their website if you would prefer the black and white.


Additional Books:
Nathaniel Willy, Scared Silly by Judith Mathews and Fay Robinson and pictures by Alexi Natchev
Race You to Bed by Bob Shea
The Squeaky, Creaky Bed by Pat Thomson and pictures by Niki Daly


Songs:
Ten in the Bed
Traditional 


I love this version I found on YouTube. But, I don't think I'd have time to get the kids and chairs set up. We just rolled our arms for "roll over".

Five Little Monkeys
Traditional

Plush Five Little Monkeys Playset by Eileen Christelow 5"
Using these darling finger puppets always seems to hold their attention.


Or learn the sign language version.

Craft:


from DLTK Kids

We copied the mouse onto white paper and had teen volunteers cut out the pieces. I told the kids they could draw pajamas on their mice if they wanted, since we're "quiet as a mouse" when we go to bed. A bit of a stretch, but nobody noticed.

No comments: