Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Storytime: Eggs and Chicks

Family storytime for ages 3-8 with a craft.

(My personal holiday storytime policy: Before holiday storytimes I like to ask the group who celebrates which holiday. If all the children celebrate the same holiday I will read applicable books. But, if a family celebrates a different holiday I prefer to avoid all holiday stories. With children this young it's too difficult for them to understand holidays they do not celebrate, so I prefer to leave them out. Even traditions within the same holiday can differ enough to confuse children. I won't throw in a book for one family out of obligation that the other children don't understand just for the sake of inclusiveness. I won't let my kids sit with glazed-over eyes and confused expressions even for one book. Now, if my kids were older I would use it as a cultural opportunity. But, with preschoolers and toddlers? Sorry, no.)
Books:


 Whose Chick Are You?
Whose Chick Are You? By Nancy Tafuri


 The Perfect Nest
The Perfect Nest By Catherine Ford and pictures by John Manders




Duck & Goose
Duck & Goose By Tad Hills

Easter Books (if appropriate for group):


Minerva Louise and the Colorful Eggs
Minerva Louise and the Colorful Eggs By Janet Morgan Stoeke



Max Counts His Chickens (Max and Ruby)
Max Counts His Chickens By Rosemary Wells

Additional Books: 
Hurry! Hurry! By Eve Bunting and pictures by Jeff Mack 
First the Egg By Laura Vaccaro Steeger 
Horton Hatches the Egg By Dr. Seuss 
The Cow That Laid an Egg By Andy Cutbill and pictures by Russell Ayto  


Songs and Fingerplays:

Whaddaya Think of That
"I Know a Chicken" From Whaddaya Think of That by Laurie Berkner (with egg shakers, naturally)
 

Unhatched Egg

Make a noise like a rooster.
 (Crow)
Make a noise like a hen.
(Cluck)
Make a noise like a chick.
(Peep)
Make a noise like an unhatched egg.
(Silence)

Good! And now you're ready to listen to the next story!
From thebestkidsbooksite.com
 

I'm a Little Chickie  
(To the Tune of: I'm a Little Teapot)

I'm a little chickie,
(crouch down inside your egg)
Ready to hatch,
Pecking at my shell,
(Pecking motion)
Scratch, scratch, scratch!
(scratching motion)
When I crack it open,
Out I'll jump
(jump out of shell)
Fluff my feathers,
Cheep! Cheep! Cheep!
From thebestkidsbooksite.com Link  

Craft: Easter Chick in Shell From thebestkidsbooksite.com

No comments: